Mike Walsh is the CEO of Tomorrow, a global consultancy on designing business for the 21st century. He advises leaders on how to thrive in this era of disruptive technological change. Mike’s clients include many of the global Fortune 500, and as a sought-after keynote speaker he regularly shares the stage with world leaders and business icons alike. Mike previously founded Jupiter Research in Australia, and has also held senior strategy roles at News Corporation in the Asia Pacific Region. He is currently a board member and strategic investor in the North Alliance, Scandinavia’s leading digital marketing group. Mike’s best-selling book FUTURETAINMENT, published by Phaidon was the winner of the design award by the Art Director’s Club in New York.
Rather than focusing on the distant future, Mike takes an anthropological approach – scanning the near horizon for emerging technologies and disruptive shifts in human behavior, and then translating these into pragmatic plans for business transformation. A prolific writer and commentator, Mike’s views have appeared in a wide range of international publications including BusinessWeek, Forbes and the Wall Street Journal.
Constantly traveling the world for the best ideas, Mike spends more than 300 days a year on the road interviewing innovators, entrepreneurs and corporate revolutionaries to provide his clients and audiences with a fresh and compelling vision of tomorrow’s opportunities.
Mike has delivered close to a thousand keynote speeches around the world to companies in almost every industry. His customized presentations leave audiences prepared and inspired to transform the way they do business. In 2014, Mike was invited to be a main stage keynote speaker at the Million Dollar Round Table with an audience of more than 8,000 people, one of the most prestigious events on the global speaking circuit.
Mike has been a pioneer in the digital space since the 1990s, running both successful start-up ventures as well as holding senior leadership positions in established media organizations. With a background in corporate law and management consulting, he began his career at XT3, a spin out from McKinsey and one of the first digital consulting firms created to help major companies embrace the embryonic Web. During the first dotcom boom, Mike launched the technology publishing group internet.com in Australia, which went on to become the leading local technology news and events platform in the country.
He also founded and ran Jupiter Research in the Asia Pacific, one of the first research agencies to track the early adoption of e-commerce and digital business models by online consumers. During this period, he was recognized as one of Australia’s “Top 30 Entrepreneurs Under 30.”
After his experiences in the Web space, Mike spent five years in senior strategy roles at News Corporation where he helped shape the digital strategy for both their Australian newspaper and Asian TV divisions. Directly engaged by the CEO of Star TV to provide the company with a digital roadmap for their operations, he began his in-depth research into the fast growth markets of Asia.
While in Hong Kong and inspired by the dramatic changes taking place in China and India, Mike founded his latest venture, Tomorrow - an innovation research lab focused on emerging technology and disruptive consumer behavior. Always in demand for his fresh insights and practical future-focused strategies, Mike has advised the CEOs and senior management teams at multinational companies including: the BBC, Fujiﬁlm, Richemont, MSN, Star TV, Televisa, Philips, and HSBC.
As a global nomad and consumer trend scout, Mike does live research, in the trenches, with big corporations and entrepreneurs all over the world bringing a truly global perspective to every event.
Most Requested Topics:
- Reinventing Leadership for the Age of Machine Intelligence: We live in an age of wonder – cars that drive themselves, platforms that anticipate our needs, and robots capable of everything from advanced manufacturing to complex surgery. Automation, algorithms and AI are transforming not only business, but every facet of daily life. While many fear that robots will take their jobs, the rise of machine intelligence begs a more important question: what is the true potential of human intelligence in the 21st century? In this inspiring keynote, Mike Walsh, futurist and author of The Dictionary Of Dangerous Ideas will present a vivid portrait of a brave new world orchestrated by machines that think, and how tomorrow’s leaders can upgrade their capabilities to survive and thrive in an age of accelerating technology. Audiences will walk away with an insight into the companies, technologies and global forces shaping the age of machine intelligence, as well as a set of tailored next actions on how to redesign their organizations, reimagine their roles and reinvent the way they make decisions.
- Digital Transformation: Every company in the future, whether it knows it or not, will be a software company. Not only will the entire operating environment become software-defined and virtual, software will shape the way the enterprise defines its very identity. The pressure for change will only accelerate, as customers and their demands drive the need for continuous disruption and re-invention. For tomorrow’s CIO the challenge is clear: can they balance emerging technologies and the digital transformation agenda with everyday challenges of operational stability and security?
- The Algorithmic Age: “Marketing in the 21st century will come down to how well you can map and measure the total customer journey to understand what really drives a purchase decision."
Marketing will be one of the most interesting, but also one of the toughest jobs in the 21st century. The future will be shaped by the colliding forces of adtech (algorithms and digital technologies that bring efficiency to advertising), and martech (brand-based platforms that support customer data collection and engagement). The opportunity for marketers is to move beyond traditional forms of media to leverage emotional, contextual and highly personal moments in a consumer’s daily life - where their messages will be relevant, reinforcing and directly actionable.
.Why the new marketing stack of adtech, martech and programmatic media buying will change the way we value and leverage customer data
.How AI, data analytics and the Internet of Things will transform real-world behavior into a uniform clickstream
.How to build the marketing team of the future
.Case studies on global brands that have built immersive, omnichannel customer journeys
- Human-Centric Innovation: “Breakthrough innovation comes not from just inventing something new, but understanding what your customers already do."
If you want to break the rules in a traditional business, you need to rethink the way you think. The best place to start is by adopting an anthropological mindset and exploring how technology impacts us as people. Human-centric innovation happens when we learn from how people actually use our products, regardless of what we intended for them to do. The world’s most innovative companies apply human-centric thinking in the way they approach everything from product to experience design. You can too.
.Lessons from global markets on customer-led innovation
.Design thinking approach and the creation of new products and services
.Unleashing people power, from crowdfunding to crowdsourcing
.Managing your moonshot team by learning to tolerate failure
- The AI Generation: The greatest challenge for any company is not just keeping its current customers happy, but anticipating the needs of its future consumer base. Exposed to a childhood of data-driven experiences, the AI generation will interact, transact and communicate in ways you least expect. But that is only half your challenge. Generational change in your workplace is also inevitable. Your future co-workers and employees will both test the limits of your management models as well as challenge your traditional beliefs about your company culture. Will you be ready for them?
.Why machine learning, conversational interfaces, messaging ecosystems, sensors and the Internet of Things will disrupt and transform traditional markets
.How the generation raised by AI will expect products, services and experiences to be personalized for them
.Why now is the time to re-imagine, re-design and re-invent everything you do, before a new data-driven competitor does it for you
.How to leverage the unique skills and mindsets of your next generation of employees, to keep your company ahead of the curve
- Recode Your Culture: The world’s most innovative companies don’t let culture happen by accident, they code their culture for success. Great culture empowers your people to perform at their best. To keep pace with rapid customer-led change, 21st century companies need to re-design themselves for agility, innovation and high performance. Forget the organizational chart. Your future depends on creating a fluid network of motivated and capable people, empowered to re-invent the way they do business.
- Building For World-Scale: The future is already here, you just need to know where to look. From disruptive mobile technology from China and India's low-cost business models to next-generation mobile banking in Africa and social consumerism in South America, global innovation is shifting to a new geography. The 21st century company must be global by design. Entering new markets is not just an opportunity for new growth—it’s an opportunity to design entirely new ways of working.
- Data-Driven Leadership: In an age of algorithms, automation and AI, 21st century leaders need to upgrade their skills and mindsets to not only remain relevant, but to lead the transformation that needs to happen. Tomorrow’s leaders will make better decisions, not from experience, charisma or intuition but through their ability to integrate real-time data into their thinking.
- Customized Topics: Based on his discovery calls with you, and using the seven transformation drivers below as a guideline, Mike will personalize a presentation specifically for your audience.
- How AI will CHange Your Job