• 3-time main stage TED speaker with over 9,000,000 views
• A world-renowned expert in the science of perception that helps people act differently in the face of change
Beau is a three-time main stage TED speaker. He has spoken at the G8, Google’s Zeitgest, Wired, Oslo Freedom Forum, Big Think and contributed to the BBC, National Geographic, Netflix and PBS.
Beau is also the founder of the world’s first neuro-design studio, Lab of Misfits. Part lab, part creative studio, Lab of Misfits takes a disruptive approach to research, partnering with brands to blend science, art and performance to explore pivotal principles in current culture. Their "experiential experiments" invite consumers to engage with brands and offer brands science-backed insights that foster innovation.
Previous and current Lab of Misfits partnerships include: Cirque du Soleil (awe and wonder), L’Oreal (empowerment), The Charles Koch Institute (tolerance), BCW Public Relations (insight) and The London Science Museum (curiosity).
Beau's latest book, Deviate: The Science of Seeing Differently, explores the surprising science of creativity and unveils the unexpected relationship between perception, reality and innovation.
The Point of Perception: Evolving Leadership in an Increasingly Uncertain World (can be incorporated with Cirque-du-Soleil performance)
The presentation will be highly interactive and engaging. Your audience will leave ‘wanting to’ step into uncertainty. Individuals of the audience may be brought onto stage to throw a ball at a screen while wearing prism goggles. The full audience may be asked to conduct a piece of music together. I may read the minds of the entire audience simultaneously. And if we engage in the full Leadership unMasterClass, we will conduct live experiments on the audience so each member walks away with a deeper insight into themselves. By engaging their brains and bodies, the audience comes to understand the most fundamental aspects of themselves, of leadership, of branding and of their audience.
During our conversation, we will answer …
● Why do we hate uncertainty and why does it stop us from succeeding?
● What are the key challenges of uncertainty faced by any organization and leader?
● What is adaptability, when should you apply it and how do you do it most effectively?
● What is Perceptual Intelligence and why when combined with the Expanding Mindset unlocks innovation does it increase retention and recruitment and diversity and inclusion … for free.
● Why does Perceptual Intelligence impact the whole of my life from work to family?
The topics include:
● Perceptual Intelligence.
● The counterintuitive power of ignoring.
● Why conflict is beautiful.
● You don’t lead … you host.
● The best leaders don’t know; They understand.
● Discovery is a spiral process that complexifies.
● It all begins with ‘Wanting To’,
● Authenticity is our most attractive feature, whether a person or a brand.
● Agility lives in Contextual Thinking.
● Walking away with a A Way of Being that empowers the whole of your life.The three types of engagement are:
● Up-to 60 minute Interactive Keynote (live or virtual).
● Up-to 4 hour Immersive unMasterClass (live or virtual) with facilitated conversation.
● Up-to 90 minute Perception Performance that combines keynote with artistic
performance with Cirque-du-Soleil creatives.
The Challenge: The World Changes Making the Future Uncertain
The only constant in life is change. The future is unknown. It always has been and always will be. Whether the source of that uncertainty is technological innovation, wars, climate change, elections… or a pandemic, change happens.
The Problem: The Certainty Trap
The problem is that our brains hate change. Which is why when we face the need to change, we will do almost anything to stand still. We create structures that engineer out as much need for change as possible. I call this the ‘Certainty Trap’, which is the fundamental barrier to all personal and professional success at the individual and organizational levels.
The Solution: ‘Evolve or Die’
In nature the most successful systems are adaptable. Things that stand still die. A deer frozen in the headlights gets hit. Brains that respond better and faster do better. Those that don’t, are selected out. Think Nokia and Kokak. These were organisations that could not change with change … even though their own innovations were the source of that change. Which is why adaptability is the “skill” most sought by leaders and organisations.
The How: Leadership
How a leader leads in uncertainty defines their success. It’s the leader who creates the context for their organisation to thrive in the unknown. They achieve this, not by following rules, but practicing a way of being, which is already encoded deeply inside their brain. It’s perception. Perception matters because it underpins everything it is to be human. By becoming Perceptually Intelligent, leaders create cultures that are agile, resilient, creative, and more loyal. How can we Be Better in the face of change?
Being Better: Perceptual Intelligence
Perception Matters! Perception underpins everything it is to be you as an individual, leader and organisation. Behavioural change begins with perceptual change. Only by understanding how and why you see what you do can you adapt to and lead others into uncertainty. Becoming Perceptually Intelligent and practicing the Spiral Process of Discovery enables Leaders and their teams and organisation to succeed when others fail.
The When: Conflict
Adaptability is a practice. The most important time to practice adaptability is in conflict. Conflict is the only place where our brains can evolve. So, it’s not conflict that’s the problem. It’s how we enter conflict that shapes a leader and an organistion.
The Results: (i) Financial success; (ii) Happier, more creative and collaborative teams; (iii) Increased employee and audience loyalty, and (iv) Personal and organisational well-being
Perceptually Intelligent Leaders create contagious cultures of well-being that increase innovation, empower diversity and inclusion, and increase the retention and recruitment of their teams by adding true value to their lives.
We can help ideate, source and book speakers that aren't on our website, too. Leave an inquiry or call us at