During the administration of President Barack Obama, Barnes was assistant to the president and director of the White House Domestic Policy Council. She was also executive vice president for policy at the Center for American Progress and chief counsel to the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Her experience includes an appointment as director of legislative affairs for the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and assistant counsel to the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Civil and Constitutional Rights. Barnes began her career as an attorney with Shearman & Sterling in New York City.
Barnes earned her BA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she graduated with honors in history, and her JD from the University of Michigan. She serves on the boards of directors of several corporate, non-profit, and philanthropic organizations.
- Leadership Issues
- Today’s Most Critical Issues and Current Events
Melody Barnes addresses many of today’s most critical issues and current events, topic areas include:
- Economic and Social Mobility in an Increasingly Diverse America
- Twin Challenges: America’s Education System and Competitiveness
- Today's Political Issues: Causes and Solutions
- Politics and the Courts: How Judicial Confirmation Battles Shape America