Dr. Burroughs serves on the national faculty of the American College of Healthcare Executives and the American Association for Physician Leadership, where he has been consistently rated as one of their top speakers and educators.
In 2014, Dr. Burroughs and Dr. David Nash were awarded a development grant by the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) to develop a twelve hour national program to address population health and the disruptive innovative business models necessary to support it. He developed a two day advanced physician leadership program for AAPL which was introduced at the Fall Institute in Arizona in November, 2016.
In 2016, Dr. Burroughs, John Byrnes, MD, and Richard Priore ScD, FACHE were awarded a national development grant by the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) to develop a twelve hour national program to address C suite collaboration and the link between quality, safety, and service outcomes with financial performance.
In 2017, Dr. Burroughs, Rich Priore ScD, FACHE and Steve Berger, CPA, FACHE will introduce a new national program for ACHE entitled “Monetizing Quality in a Pay for Value World” that will be introduced in Orlando, Florida in December, 2017. He is the author or coauthor of the following books: Redesign the Medical Staff Model-A Collaborative Approach (published by Health Administration Press, January, 2015 and honored with the 2016 James A. Hamilton Award for outstanding healthcare management book), The Complete Guide to FPPE (2012), Medical Staff Leadership Essentials (2011), Engage and Align the Medical Staff and Hospital Management: Expert Strategies and Field Tested Tools (2010), A Practical Guide to Managing Disruptive and Impaired Physicians (2010), The Top 40 Medical Staff Policies and Procedures, Fourth Edition (2010), Emergency Department On-Call Strategies: Solutions for Physician-Hospital Alignment (2009), and Peer Review Best Practices: Case Studies and Lessons Learned (2008). His next book Building the 21st Century Healthcare Enterprise will be released by Health Administration Press in early 2018.
Dr. Burroughs is a former Senior Consultant and Director of Education Services for The Greeley Company where he was rated as one of their top healthcare consultants and educators over an eight year period. He is also a past medical staff president, past president of the New Hampshire chapter of the American College of Emergency Physicians, and served as an emergency department medical director. As a member of the governing board of Memorial Hospital in New Hampshire, he chaired the ethics, succession planning, and bylaws committees and sat on the joint conference, strategic planning, and medical executive committees. He previously served as a member of the clinical faculty of Dartmouth Medical School, where his research interests included introducing EMT defibrillation and automatic defibrillation into the field.
Dr. Burroughs’ passion for the outdoors has led him to serve as a physician on mountaineering expeditions and he has reached the summits of over 5,000 peaks throughout North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and he is the coeditor of the 26th edition of the White Mountain Guide and the first edition of the Southern New Hampshire Trail Guide. He was the first person to hike and log all 2,000 + miles of maintained trails in the State of New Hampshire.
Dr. Burroughs received his bachelor’s degree at Johns Hopkins University, his MD from Case Western Reserve University, and a healthcare MBA with honors at the Isenberg School of Management. He is a certified healthcare and physician executive and is a fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives where he was recently honored with a service award and the American Association for Physician Leadership.
- How to Depolitize a Global Panemic
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: How Hospitals Can Survive
- How We Can Succeed in Healthcare Transformation-A Blueprint for the 21st Century
- Key Competencies in Successful Clinically Integrated Networks
- Physician-Hospital Integration and Alignment
- Where do Democratic Candidates Stand on Healthcare in 2020?
- The Globalization of the Healthcare Industry
- Five Proven ways to work with your Physicians to reduce Operating Costs
- Disruptive Innovation in Healthcare-Are you ready?
- The Link between the Patient Experience and Quality, Cost, and Market Share
- Patient Safety-What we can Learn from the Airline Industry
- A Healthcare Vision for the 21st Century
- Redesign the Medical Staff for the 21st Century
- Common Legal Mistakes that Healthcare Leaders Make and How to Avoid Them
- Ethical Dilemmas in Healthcare-Case Studies and Lessons Learned
- Physician Engagement and Alignment-What Works and What Doesn’t
- How to Monetize Quality in a Pay for Value World
- Consumer Driven Healthcare-Are you ready
- What every Healthcare Leader needs to know about Population Health
- How we can Succeed in Healthcare Transformation