• Through her captivating and upbeat presentation style, Merritt debunks the notion that busier means better, and challenges you with tips and tools to get purpose and breathing room back into your life.
You know. The kind that has everyone nodding, laughing, and hanging on to every word. Here's the truth. Working in healthcare has its own unique set of highs and lows. And unless you've been in the trenches, it's hard to empathize with the rigors and frustrations of this audience. While there are legions of great motivational speakers who can tell inspiring stories, wouldn't it be more meaningful to hear from someone who's felt their joy and pain firsthand?
My words inspire nurses and leaders feeling burnout to get back in the game. I show them how to live life more fully by doing less (and letting go more).
They leave my talks empowered to find hope amidst tragedies witnessed on the job and in life.
Whether you're here because you:
· Are saddled with the HUGE responsibility of planning a major event, and you want "a sure thing" for your keynote.
· Worry about losing face (and maybe your credibility) if the speaker doesn't end up having the sizzle you hoped for.
· Are looking for something fresh and memorable that will have people not just talking, but taking positive action right away.
· Want the best possible outcome for patients. (You know it starts with a happy, motivated staff but how do you reignite their passion for the work?)
...Not to worry, I can help you. Let me be your "Motivational Spark-er."
Hi, I'm Connie Merritt, RN, BSN, PHN—National Keynote Specialist, Award-Winning Author, and Horse Whisperer in Training
I speak to people in healthcare who crave the joy they once had in their work and life. I show them how to turn obstacles into opportunities and traumas into traction, so they can move forward and:
· Be more present (and pleasant) for their patients and co-workers
· Deal with difficult people and situations
· Set priorities and use wiser self-care
· Take initiative, and take action
· Have hope and let go of what's keeping them stuck
What's New and Exciting?
2021: Bringing Horse Sense to Post-COVID Healing
Since 2008 I've studied with a world-renowned natural horsemanship trainer.
In my talks, I now share "horse whispering" insights I've learned that are empowering and healing—especially for post-COVID healthcare workers and their patients.
Here's one insight that never fails to create epiphanies in the audience: Like cornered horses, hospital patients can feel vulnerable and trapped. So be mindful of the energy you bring to their bedside.
What makes me qualified?
· For more than 25 years, I've spoken to the nation's top healthcare companies, organizations, and associations—many are repeat clients—so I know what resonates (and what doesn't) with these audiences.
· I'm a geek when it comes to researching healthcare trends and human behavior. I weave in what I learn to keep my topics current and relevant.
· I got my BSN and PHN, then spent my nursing career in Critical Care and the Emergency Department. I was even a village nurse in French-speaking Switzerland. Been in the trenches? Check.
· Through my book from McGraw-Hill, Too Busy for Your Own Good, I've helped millions of people live in the present, enjoy what matters most, and get more done without multi-tasking.
· I've had my share, and then some, of personal challenges and losses. They keep my storytelling true, compelling, and inspiring.
· Media have called on my expertise including USA Today, Fox Business, Entrepreneur Magazine, Ladies Home Journal, Advance for Nurses, NBC, CNN & CBS Radio, and other nationally syndicated radio and television programs.
Who do I work with?
You'll find my clients throughout all 50 states. Together, we work to make healthcare people, organizations, and associations happier and healthier.
In my audiences, you'll find those at the heart of making this industry work:
· Nurses from every department and level including Advanced Practice, Nurse Practitioners, and Surgicenters
· Administrators, Executives, HR, and Continuing Education
· Telehealth, Health Information, and Outpatient Teams
· Other Specially Trained Staff Members
On a Personal Note or Two...
◊ I'm fluent in French. Which means I can't resist a warm, buttery croissant.
◊ When I was nine years old, I kept all the books and banking for my dad's business. Budgets and spreadsheets don't scare me.
◊ I've mentored three young women through college, so Millennials don't scare me either.
◊ I'm a licensed pilot. On my first cross-country solo flight, I nearly had a mid-air collision with a California condor. That scared me.
◊ When I'm not on the speaking trail, you can find me hanging out with my Quarter Horse, Trio, or doing volunteer equine therapy for veterans with PTSD.
Ready to go from bored to adored?
- Raiders of the Lost Spark: Conquering Issues That Dim Success
Manage daily demands, drama and deadlines in a post-COVID world. Connie’s signature presentation brings a memorable, humorous, and practical spin to the current work and life environment. And the impact it has on people who work in healthcare. Connie has a gift for providing essential content with step-by-step tactical teachings to help you breakthrough to “next”—while motivating you with teachable moments you won’t soon forget.
• Discover the secrets to reducing stress and busyness while increasing your spark in life.
• Learn and practice strategies for developing greater flexibility, compassion, and personal strength in the face of uncertainty and change.
• Be inspired to employ new ways to live with more purpose and meaning.
- Difficult People & Sticky Situations: Welcome to the World of Healthcare
Smart moves for handling people and problems that push your buttons. Dealing with difficult people can feel like a full-time job. It can slow you down, upset your equilibrium, and drain your energy. While there’s no single approach that works with every quirky personality, you can counter some of the most common, troublesome behaviors. Learn proven ways to manage complainers, bullies, grumps, curmudgeons, and more.
• Apply a powerful approach to resolving conflict
• Distinguish personal alternatives for handling your most difficult person
• Describe your personal leadership strengths and formulate a plan for handling difficult people
- Grace Up, Stress Down: Maintaining Your Cool in Today’s Demanding Healthcare Environment
How to stay focused, calm and professional even under the most stressful situations. Do you know what stresses you at work and outside of it? Probably more things than ever in these demanding healthcare times. This presentation provides relief by helping you understand the dynamics of stress, identify stress levels, and practice ways to neutralize those stress triggers and get some immediate relief.
• Evaluate stress levels and examine current physical symptoms of stress
• Be more proactive by identifying stress-reducing strategies that work for you
• Practice stress-reducing movements and exercises you can do on the job
- Bringing Horse Sense to Healthcare: What Horses Can Teach Us About Being More Human
Connie’s craziest, funniest, and most relevant horse anecdotes with lessons that change lives. Addressing burnout in post-COVID healthcare audiences is going to take more than just happy talk. It’s going to take real horse sense.
Since 2008, Connie has studied under one of the world-renowned natural horsemanship trainers. In her presentation, she weaves together the wisdom and strategies of “horse whispering” with her nursing and leadership experience. This novel approach connects deeply with healthcare audiences. It gives them powerful new perspectives and tools for recovering from the events of these fraught times.